26 October 2006

Shut Up, Harold

Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Harold Ford:
I do not support the decision today reached by the New Jersey Supreme Court regarding gay marriage. I oppose gay marriage, and have voted twice in Congress to amend the United States Constitution to prohibit same-sex marriage. This November there's a referendum on the Tennessee ballot to ban same-sex marriage - I am voting for it.
Uh, Congressman Ford...first off, you're running for a Senate seat in Tennessee. So, the way I see it what New Jersey does is none of your damn business. Second, the New Jersey court didn't mandate gay marriage. It mandated equal protection under the law.

I have been rooting for you as the polls bounce back and forth between you and your opponent, and I still want you to win. But believe me, I won't be all that disappointed if you come up short on Election Day.