08 March 2007

Bravo, Melinda!

Two weeks ago, when Simon Cowell said that the "American Idol" contest was essentially over because he figured LaKisha Jones was going to win, I balked. Granted, it was because I was over "Dreamgirls" (she sang "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going")...but still, I balked.

Enter Melinda Doolittle. That woman has some pipes! On the girls' side she's the only one who has been consistantly good...hell, superior...week after week. Her rendition of "I'm a Woman" last night proved you could throw her up on a stage next to powerhouses like Whitney Houston (in her '80s hey-day) and Chaka Khan and she would more than hold her own.

Stephanie Edwards, Sabrina Sloan, and Jordin Sparks should join Melinda (and LaKisha) in the final 12.

And America should keep sending the white girls home. Specifically this week, Antonella Barba and Haley Scarnato. Open your ears folks...They. Can't. Sing.