11 November 2008

One Week Ago, Tonight

Shortly after 7:30pm Pacific Time last Tuesday, I looked at MSNBC's electoral map and did the math. Barack Obama had 207 electoral votes. I knew that if polling held true, the networks would be able to call California (55 electoral votes), Washington State (11 electoral votes), Oregon (7 electoral votes), and Hawaii (4 electoral votes) right at 8:00pm, thus putting Obama well over the 270 electoral votes needed to win.

I told Brent to have the champagne glasses ready to go.

Sure enough, at 8:00 straight up...


You can hear the raw emotion in Keith Olbermann's voice as he calls it. At my house, cheers and tears ensued.

As my buddy Gil said the next day, it's one of those moments where you'll always remember where you were when it happened.

Indeed!