19 September 2007

The Downward Spiral

I've been super busy at work - and I am preparing to fly to New York for a few days on tonight's red-eye - so I am just now reading at length about the Blackwater incident in Iraq.

Apparently 11 Iraqi civilians were killed recently when security guards from the private U.S. security firm Blackwater opened fire in a busy Baghdad square.

That's the way to "win the hearts and minds."

Shit.

Update: Josh Marshall at Talking Points Memo thinks out loud:
A semi-rhetorical question: why do we need Blackwater, a 'private security' firm, to provide security for US officials in Iraq when we have the US Army and US Marine Corps? Not to mention the various security agencies connected to the State Department and the paramilitary arms of our intelligence services?

I say it's a rhetorical question because I know most of the answers experts in the field would give. But none of them are very good answers. And many are very, very bad.