28 October 2007

Perilla

While in New York last month, I surprised Brent with dinner at Perilla, the new restaurant from the winner of the first season of "Top Chef," Harold Dietrele. And what an experience! The food at Perilla is absolutely heavenly.

I started with the crispy berkshire porkbelly. Served with pea tendrills, it was the perfect way to start the evening's meal. Brent had the beef carpaccio, served on a bed of arugula. To die for!

For dinner we both had the grilled angus strip steak. Yeah, yeah...I know. But when the server described it to me, I just had to have my own! Prepared to perfection, it was probably the best steak I've had in a couple of years. I didn't want the meal to end. (Next time though, I'm definitely having the duck.)

The restaurant staff was wonderful. Cheerful and obviously smitten with their jobs, they live to serve and Mr. Dietrele should consider himself lucky to have such a top-notch staff.

The ambiance? Aiming for the younger demographic, Dietrele has good old-fashioned rock and roll playing at a low volume throughout the restaurant, giving the place a laid back feel without losing the high end Greenwich Village restaurant atmosphere. The decor is slightly above average; it doesn't pop out when you walk in, but it's not bad either.

And finally, the wine list. Three words: ex-cel-lent! Dietrele and his staff have outdone themselves. The list is extensive and perfect for pairing with many menu items.

The next time you're in New York, block an evening dinner into your schedule at Perilla. Located in Greenwich Village at 9 Jones Street (between West 4th and Bleecker Streets), call (212) 929-6868 for reservations.