27 February 2008

"Idol," Week 2: The Guys

We went from the 1960s last week to the 1970s this week. Here is your wrap-up:

Michael Johns
"Go Your Own Way"
This was a bad song choice for him. His vocals were off...out of tune and screechy. And he needs to stop that "rocker dance" thing he does (one hand up in the air, doing a semi bounce on stage). This was a pretty disappointing performance from one of my favorites.

Jason Castro
"I Just Want To Be Your Everything"
Castro really is 2008's version of Spicoli from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High." What a stoner!

Performance wise, this was actually pretty good. He took an Andy Gibb classic and made it his own. A great interpretation of a smash #1 hit.

Luke Menard
"Killer Queen"
The guy can sing, there's no doubt about it. But Luke singing Queen? That's like your high school "New Dawns" group singing AC/DC. When I closed my eyes, this sounded pretty good, but when I actually watched Luke's performance all I could do was cringe.

Robbie Carrico
"Hot Blooded"
This was a very average performance. Average vocal, average song, average arrangement. Randy was right: this song showcased the limitations of Robbie's vocal range.

Danny Noriega
"Superstar"
Two words. Wait, no. Three: Bad. Gay. Karaoke.

David Hernandez
"Papa Was A Rolling Stone"
He really is one of the hotter guys on the show. As Larry said in a text message last night, "David, David, David!" And his performance was superb! Old school R&B fits his style really well. Excellent choice of song, superb interpretation, stupendous vocal.

Jason Yeager
"Long Train Runnin'"
I disagree with Randy on this one. I thought this was a very nice song choice for Jason. It was perfect for his vocal range and a decent performance all around. Sometimes I wonder if, being right there on the stage, the judges hear something different that we do at home.

Chikezie
"I Believe To My Soul"
It is always risky to do a Donny Hathaway song, for that man had one hell of a voice. And the Idol who did it best was Elliott Yamin - no contest. Chikezie did an ok job on this tune but he is not Elliot - by any stretch of the imagination.

David Cook
"All Right Now"
I liked the electric guitar thing, and the vocal was very good. David was confident all the way through.

David Archuletta
"Imagine"
Ok...the pre-performance clip first...this boy belted out "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" to the season 1 finalists six years ago. A "diva" song if ever there was one. I hate to break the news girls, but this boy is a 'mo. Plain and simple.

That said...ahem...David is truly a natural; the best of the bunch this year (so far). He took an awful risk by choosing to do the quintessential John Lennon classic, but his interpretation was spot on, turning in a stunning vocal and knocking it out of the park. Absolutely the best of the night. Hell...the best of the last two weeks!