04 April 2007

"Idol" April 3rd

Blake: Before he started signing, when he announced he was going to sing "Mack the Knife," I knew right then that it was the perfect song for him. And I wasn't wrong. Blake is the best male singer on the show.

Phil: This was a good genre for him. But the critique of the judges was pretty harsh and, should America once again choose to keep Sanjaya on his special little caterwaul catamaran, Phil could very well be the one saying 'goodbye' Wednesday night.

Melinda: Even with a song like "I've Got Rhythm" she exudes a Tina Turner-esque quality when she performs. She rebounded from last week and turned in another superb performance. Once again, she was the far-and-away the best singer of the night.

Chris R: He took a Duke Ellington song and made it pretty hip; but overall it was a just a basic, good performance. That's all. Nothing special.

Jordin: I still don't understand all the fuss with this girl. While she can certainly belt out a tune, she's not the strongest singer. For me, she's this year's Carrie Underwood - and by that I mean this: Someone who I think is just OK, where I can't quite understand the hype, but who will probably go pretty far in the competition, leaving me to scratch my head and wonder why.

Gina: Strong vocal. Nice job.

Sanjaya: Plain and simple: HE. CAN'T. SING. And: HE'S. AN. IDIOT. He's just wasting our time at this point.

Haley: Plain and simple: SHE. CAN'T. SING.

Lakisha: In order to showcase her vocals (and she did do a great job tonight, I'll give her that), Lakisha took a classic song like "Stormy Weather" and "ghetto-fabulized" it. And I think she's better than that.