18 April 2007

"Idol" Recap: April 17

'twas country week on "American Idol." The recap...

Phil: His performance was energetic and soulful, and the country genre seems to fit him well.

Jordin: She started out very strong, so much so that I was almost impressed. But then she started caterwauling and, by the end of the song, I hated it. She really is not the best singer of the bunch and that is probably why Simon thinks she has a chance at winning. Last year's best singers were Chris Daughtry and Elliott Yamin, yet Taylor Hicks won the contest. So, I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Simon's prediction comes true in May.

SuckySuckyFiveDolla: Bonnie Raitt should take that do-rag he was wearing and strangle him with it. My gawd! His version of her classic "Something To Talk About" was horrendous on so many levels. I can see why the judges are starting to get so exasperated. Ryan Seacrest really annoyed me when he tried stop Simon from commenting that this peformance wouldn't have gotten Sanjaya past the initial audition. Frankly, I applaude Simon for finally saying something that I've been ranting about for weeks. This is not funny anymore. Send the idiot home. Please!

Lakisha: Her version of "Jesus Take the Wheel" was probably her worst vocal of the show so far. Has Kiki run her course? Has she done all she can do? Or is it just that country wasn't her genre?

Chris: By nature country music is usually pretty nasally where male performers are concerned, but with Chris it was just annoying. His voice isn't made for country and there was no power or personality behind the performance.

Melinda: Love. Her. THAT is how you do it, my friends. Melinda rocks no matter what she does. She's the ultimate professional and once again turned in the best vocal of the night...far and away.

Blake: Love. Him. Once again Blake turned in an excellent, sexy performance. He took a country song and made a grade-A pop tune out of it. Whatever the outcome of this contest, the combination of his vocal and arrangement talents will take him far in the business.

Update: A reader mentions that many of my critiques seem to match what the judges say each week and that they think I'm taking their comments and making them my own.

Ummm...no. My weekly "Idol" updates are based on notes I take during the actual performances, as the contestants are actually singing. If my comments match the judges then it just means we're on the same page.