20 May 2008

"Idol" - Battle of the Davids: The Season Finale

Ok...the whole boxer thing through out the show was about as lame as lame gets. Give me a freekin' break! Can you say "testosterone overload?"

Now that that is out the way...on to the final round of "American Idol"...

David Cook
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
Those gorgeous eyes should be enough to lead him to victory as far as I'm concerned. That said, I think he coasted on this song. He didn't take any chances, playing it right down the middle. But still, I liked it. Let there be no doubt - this man is the true essence of "rock star."

David Archuletta
"Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me"
Good gawd...could they have picked a more predictable song!? He nailed it, of course and proved without a doubt that he deserved to be on that stage tonight. He got a bit pitchy toward the end, but overall really nicely done.

David Cook
"Dream Big"
Good, old-fashioned rock and roll from Mr. Cook. However the results go, this guy has a big career in front of him. He's the more marketable talent and the bigger personality. He sang his ass off.

David Archuletta
"In This Moment"
Sheez! Can you say "schmalzy?" Damn that was a horrid little song. Typical of Archuletta and the girls no doubt loved it. As such, this performance will add to his vote totals tonight.

David Cook
"The World I Know"
Hmmm...Cook has turned in much better performances in past weeks. He's off his game tonight but only by a tad. It forces me to wonder: Is he throwing the contest on purpose? If he comes in second, chances are he wouldn't be tied to a recording contract as stifling as the one winner signs. I'm sure I'm wrong...but I can't stop thinking that maybe...perhaps...

David Archuletta
"Imagine"
I loved it when he did this song earlier in the season and I loved it no less tonight. Corny as all hell, but his voice and that song are an amazing combination.

Who will win tomorrow night? More than likely it will be Archuletta. The show's demographics favor him more than they do Cook. Either way, it is clear that the two best contestants wound up in this finale round. "American Idol" seems to have pulled itself out of the lull it had fallen into the last couple of seasons or so.

Both Davids have extremely bright futures in front of them. They performed better more consistently than any of the season's other contestants. And that is something they should both be proud of...whatever the results show tomorrow night.