28 April 2009

Bea Arthur, 1922 - 2009

While I was in Santa Barbara, news broke that the legendary stage and television actress Beatrice Arthur had died. She was 86.

Brent and I started putting old episodes of "Maude" in the Netflix queue this past year, and I've been reliving portions of my early childhood watching them. My grandmother loved that series, and was an even bigger fan of "The Golden Girls." As was I.

Three clips below...

"Maude's Dilemma," in which she learns she's pregnant at age 47. Keep in mind that this episode aired before the Supreme Court handed down their Roe vs. Wade ruling. (Side notes: "Maude" was a spin-off of "All In the Family," "Good Times" was a spin-off of "Maude," and Rue McClanahan co-starred with Bea Arthur in both "Maude" and "The Golden Girls.")



Hysterical lesbionics...



And finally, an ode to recreational drug use with Rock Hudson!


(Shout out: JMG)