04 November 2007

For San Francisco Mayor

I had planned to post my endorsement in the San Francisco mayoral election on Sunday, but when I sat down to write it I realized I needed another day or so to weigh my options, such is my disenchantment with the contest. But, tomorrow is Election Day, I've thought some things through, and here it goes...

The Disappointment

To be sure, Mayor Gavin Newsom stepped up to the plate right out of the box in February of 2004. When he issued marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples he essentially gave George W. Bush a big ol' "fuck you." The fascist president had started a fight to add an amendment to the Constitution that would strip 10% of Americans of their right to the "equal protection" clause.

Gay couples from around the country made their way to this wonderful city to exchange vows and make lifetime commitments to their longtime partners. Yes, the California State Supreme Court nullified those marriage licenses, but I have friends who took part in those City Hall ceremonies who still have those licenses framed and hanging proudly in their homes. And they have the Mayor of San Francisco to thank for that.

But after such a promising, progressive start, Newsom fell flat on his face. The crime rate has increased significantly; the murder rate is on its way to breaking records; MUNI (the city transit system) has seen better days (and those better days weren't all that good to begin with); the housing crisis makes our heads spin, yet Mr. Newsom has allowed developers to build hugely expensive high-rises while subsidized housing disintegrates under his leadership. I'm all for economic expansion, but not at the expense of issues in need of immediate attention.

So, What To Do?

I've been on the fence all year as to who I will support. Unfortunately, rather than bring a real debate to the Mayor's doorstep, his major challengers sat out this contest. None of the eleven candidates running against Newsom tomorrow has a prayer of beating him. He'll coast to reelection easier than any candidate since Dianne Feinstein in 1983.

But should I still vote for him just because he's the certain winner? Well...it's not that black and white.

The crime rate has been my key concern in this election. However, I told myself last summer that if the Castro District got through Halloween without violence I'd be more inclined to lean in Newsom's direction. And that holiday came and went without incident. So, with a weariness I have never really felt with any other candidate in any other race, I will cast a very unenthusiastic vote for Gavin Newsom on Tuesday.

In San Francisco's 3-choice voting system, my second choice vote tomorrow will go to Quintin Mecke. He has run a very capable campaign and holds the progressive values San Francisco voters hold near and dear. Unfortunately he's not ready for the Mayor's office. Not yet, anyway. I look forward to hearing more from him and will be looking for his name on the ballot in 2011.