09 December 2008

Gregory to Take Over "Meet the Press"

While I admire NBC's David Gregory for confronting the White House on a host of issues, I find his ascension to moderator of "Meet the Press" as a bad move by the network. During the campaign season he spent most of his time over on MSNBC playing "gotcha" journalism and blurring the line between opinion and news anchor. My fear is that he'll turn "MTP" into some sort of Fox-like shout fest.

Personally, I would have named Chuck Todd moderator and revamped the format to look like it did in the show's early years: A panel of 3 journalists asking the questions with the moderator as the show's anchor. But hey...I don't work for NBC.

I'm not a fan of George Snuffaluffagus, either, although I think his round table discussions are always fun. So it looks like I'll becoming a "Face the Nation" guy for a half-an-hour each Sunday, before tuning into ABC's discussion panel, and finishing off with "The Chris Matthews Show."

Meanwhile, in becoming Tim Russert's permanent replacement (Tom Brokaw signed off as interim moderator this past Sunday), Gregory has some awfully huge shoes to fill. Only time will tell if NBC made the right move.