02 December 2008

Obama's National Security Team

When you look at the people on that stage you know one thing for sure: Competence has returned to the White House. The adults will be running things once again.

It truly is a stellar team and I am quite impressed with Obama's picks, with the possible exception of Robert Gates' retention as Defense Secretary (I understand what Obama is doing and respect his decision to do it, so I guess I am more on the fence than wholly opposed).

At the top of Obama's national security team is an abundance of star power. The U.S. will need it if we have any hope of repairing our tattered global reputation. The world cheered when we elected Mr. Obama to the presidency. Some world leaders have been known to call Joe Biden (the Senate's foreign policy master) before calling President Bush when international crises have taken place. And we all know that the Clinton name is one of the most respected when it comes to American foreign policy.

President Obama, Vice-President Biden, and Secretary of State Clinton. That is one powerful trifecta! Those three names alone send the message to friend and foe that the grown-ups are back at the helm, and that our ship of state is being steadied once more. There will be vigorous debate and decisions will flow from those discussions. The days of "yes men," no matter the consequences, are gone.

President-elect Obama said it best:
I assembled this team because I'm a strong believer in strong personalities and strong opinions. I think that's how the best decisions are made. One of the dangers in a White House, based on my reading of history, is that you get wrapped up in groupthink and everybody agrees with everything and there's no discussion and there are no dissenting views. So I'm going to be welcoming a vigorous debate inside the White House.

But understand, I will be setting policy as president. I will be responsible for the vision that this team carries out, and I expect them to implement that vision once decisions are made.

So, as Harry Truman said, the buck will stop with me. And nobody who's standing here, I think, would have agreed to join this administration unless they had confidence that in fact that vision was one that would help secure the American people and our interests.