23 July 2009

Gay and Republican

After the last three election cycles it baffles me how any gay American could identify themselves as Republican. I was floored, in fact, that the percentage of gay men and women voting for the Republican presidential ticket actually increased in 2008 over 2004 (bitter over Hillary's primary loss, I'm sure...but I digress). The Republican Party has moved so far to the right, fueled in large part by vitriolic anti-gay rhetoric, that from my vantage point gay support of most Republican candidates is on par with Jews backing Hitler.

Current TV's Nerina Penzhorn follows two young, prominent members of the Log Cabin Republicans - a candidate for state senator and up-an-coming lobbyist - to understand why it is easier for them to tell their "Republican friends they're gay, than gay friends that they're Republican."