10 January 2007

A Year Later

My grandmother passed away one year ago today - after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's. She is heavy on my mind this morning, and in her memory I re-print the comments I made at her memorial service this past May:
On the morning of January 10th, after my mother had called me with the news of Grandma’s passing, two things happened: 1) Chloe, my two year-old Boston Terrier, while I was still on the phone with my mother, sat at my side, whimpered, and kissed my cheek twice; and 2) A few hours later, when I was taking Chloe on her morning walk, an old, gray haired dog from across the street, who had never before given me a so much as a glance, left her owner and, despite debilitating arthritis, walked across the street, stopped in front of me, nuzzled my hand, and then walked away, looking back once before re-joining her owner (who was a bit shocked, as her dog never acted like this).

I think of these two things today because they are the type of stories that Grandma would get a kick out of.

Chloe, because I always knew that Grandma would just adore her. She’s well behaved, loves people to a fault, yet maintains an independent streak that only Grandma would truly admire.

As for the older dog who came to me that morning...well, despite the news my mother had delivered earlier, the incident with that dog kept a smile on my face that entire morning. For it’s a story we would expect to hear from Grandma. I can hear her tell it now: That dog, who never before befriended me, came over to let me know that Grandma was ok; that she was in a better place and that, after so many years in the dark, was herself again: That smiling, caring, loving woman we all missed so much.

We all have our favorite stories about Grandma. Something she said that made us laugh; a gift she bought that, to this day, still means the world to us; a song she would sing as she rocked us in her lap.

But for me...well...I will remember her dedication and kindness...those traits that – to me – defined her; the traits that made her too good for this world.

I think we’ve all been there: Times or situations when the chips were down, when life just really stunk, for whatever reason, little or small. And, without any hesitation, there was that woman – Sarah, Sally, Mom, Grandma – that wonderful, loving woman, who would be there to do whatever she could to lift you up and make life better again – no questions asked.

I could go into details but I have a hunch we’re all mulling over our own private instances in our own minds.

And I guess that is why I thought of the dog stories today. Grandma always said her best friends were the dogs and the cats she owned over the years. And when I think about it, it makes sense. Pets love unconditionally. And, at least in my own relationship with her, Grandma loved just as unconditionally.

And so, Grandma...I want to take this opportunity, as you go on to your eternal slumber, to say THANK YOU.

Thank you for being our sister, our mother, our grandmother...but, most importantly, thank you for being our friend.

Farewell, Sweet Lady.

We love you.
Miss you, Gram.

This one's for you: