14 February 2007

Al Franken Will Run For Senate

Al Franken, the comedian and former Air America talk show host, announced today that he will run for the United States Senate from the state of Minnesota, challenging incumbent Republican Norm Coleman.
Minnesotans have a right to be skeptical about whether I'm ready for this challenge...I want you to know: Nothing means more to me than making government work better for the working families of this state, and over the next 20 months, I look forward to proving to you that I take these issues seriously.
...said Franken, author of the best-selling book "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right."

Coleman is a Democrat-turned-Republican in a very Democratic state (the last time Minnesota went for a Republican presidential candidate was 1972). If Franken wins the Democratic Party's nomination next year, he'll be a very formidable candidate.