24 February 2007

You Are Entitled to Your Wrong Opinion

Reader email:
You're crazy. "Little Miss Sunshine" won't win Best Picture of the year. It didn't even get a Best Director nomination. It really isn't all that good and I think it came off as self-important.
I disagree that the movie comes across as self important. But, for the sake of argument, let's say I agreed with you. By their very nature, the Academy Awards are a huge exercise in self importance. It would logically follow then that Hollywood might hand the Best Picture trophy to "Little Miss Sunshine."

I urge the reader to re-read my predictions essay. I said "Babel," "The Departed," and "Little Miss Sunshine" have an equal chance at winning the Picture prize. But, so as to make a prediction, I laid out how I think the category will swing.

I have about a 67% chance of being wrong. It ought to make the final award of the night pretty exciting.