20 January 2009

The Presidential Oath of Office

It's only 35 words long: "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States" (the "so help me God" part isn't constitutionally mandated)...yet Chief Justice John Roberts managed to screw it up, instructing Obama to say "that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully." That's wrong in two places - the "to" and the placement of "faithfully."

Although the oath was written on card that he held in his hand, Roberts decided that he'd administer it from memory.

Whoops! Nice way to ruin the moment, Mr. Chief Justice.

So, think about it...you know sure as the sun will come up tomorrow that the right-wing nuttery will use the flub to make a case that Barack Obama isn't really president. If the courts even go there (and I doubt they will), the problem is easily solved by having the President repeat the oath.

The moment, below.

Update: Fox News (go figure) went there.