27 February 2009

Virgin Closes SF Store

From Joe Jervis:
Virgin Megastore has announced that it will close its San Francisco location at the end of April. NYC's Times Square store closes then too, with the Union Square store following at the end of May. That leaves the chain with three remaining locations: Denver, Orlando, and Hollywood. However an industry insider tells me today that those three stores will shutter in May as well. Virgin just isn't saying so yet because they are trying to negotiate an exit with their landlords. Sad, sad, sad.
Everyone is buying their music via download off the web these days. (Hell, I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD.) Between that and the economy, music stores are closing at a fast and furious rate.

The move from CD to download is innovation at its finest. Such innovation is the engine that keeps American business moving forward (think of the global move from vinyl to CD). And while I understand that I contributed to their demise, the closing of stores like Tower and Virgin is bittersweet for a music buff like me.