09 June 2008

Obama / Schweitzer ?

Could Democratic Gov. Brian Schweitzer of Montana be on Barack Obama's list of possible vice-presidential nominees?

Sean over at 538 thinks so:
The first time I heard Brian Schweitzer speak, I thought: "This guy is going to be President." That is not a common reaction on my part to politicians. I've listened to hundreds and hundreds of Democratic politicians speak, and I've only had that reaction twice in my lifetime. The first was Barack Obama, the second was Brian Schweitzer...

Brian Schweitzer and Barack Obama are the two "new Democrat" styles that are extremely effective in the post-Clinton era. Both emphasize solutions over partisanship. Both are suspected by Republicans of talking a good game of bipartisanship and hewing to traditional Democratic Party ideology. Both are great communicators, but with different rhetorical strengths.
Sen. Jon Tester (Democrat-MT), who beat the geriatric crank Conrad Burns in 2006, seems to think Schweitzer is a great choice as well: