24 September 2008

Bicyclists and Traffic Laws

No-brainer of the week: Bicyclists in San Francisco are notorious for blowing through stop signs & red lights and for turning in front of traffic without yielding. And then, when one of their own gets clipped, they get all up in everyone's grill.

Now before you all start hounding me, I am very much for auto drivers giving cyclists a little bit of leeway. They are, after all, doing their part to keep our planet green. If it were possible for me to ride my bike to work, I would do it. (That little puddle of water between here and Alameda sort of gets in the way.)

None the less, the installation this week of "special bicycle traffic signals" at the corner of Fell and Masonic begs the rather obvious question...

Why can't the cyclists just fuckin' follow the same traffic signals, signs, and laws that we car drivers follow?