25 March 2008

Sally and Hillary

Talking Point Memo's Josh Marshall:
...imagine playing poker around a table with friends. Player A has a Straight Flush; Player B has four of a kind. Then B says, "Well, sure, if you're counting straights, but if we were adding up the numbers rather than going by straights winning, I'd have won."

There's a set of rules everyone agreed on. The wisdom of those rules is irrelevant at this point. The Clinton campaign is entitled to do whatever it wants to get superdelegates to come over to her side to even out the pledged delegate deficit. My take is that whatever the arguments, the superdelegates aren't going to go against a clear pledged delegate leader. And I think they'd be extremely ill-advised to do so. But the superdelegates do have this power under the rules. But these constant efforts to say the rules aren't fair are just silly, and truth be told I think they're more undermining of the Clinton campaign than they realize.
And from Daily Kos' Markos Moulitsas:
The Clinton campaign has realized that the rules don't work in their favor, that if we follow the rules as agreed upon before the first caucus vote was cast in Iowa, that they have no chance of winning...

Again, as I noted before, the only way Clinton can win this race is with a coup by superdelegate, which would necessarily create civil war in our party.

And of course, Hillary Clinton doesn't care.
When I was a baby my grandmother was watching me one evening while my mom was in school. As I sat playing on her living room floor, "Gramma Sally" was having a heated discussion on the phone and made reference to someone she didn't care for as "that damn bitch." This little boy walked over, picked up his play phone and, mimicking his beloved grandmother, started saying (sternly) "damn bitch." Bless her heart, it was of my grandmother's favorite memories.

Gramma Sally was the loyalist of loyal Democrats. To vote Republican or third-party on any ballot in any election was just not in her blood. Voting Democratic was ingrained in her DNA.

I've thought about my grandmother a lot during this primary season; and while my heart wishes she could be here to see either the first woman candidate or the first African-American candidate, my head tells me that the current state of the race would break her heart.

Hillary Clinton and her husband are masters at the political game. They know more than anyone that this thing isn't winnable for them. But rather than face the reality of the situation and stand down, they choose to tear the Democratic Party apart by endorsing McCain in hopes of a Republican victory this year so that they can have another crack at the nomination in 2012.

My mother argues that my grandmother would have voted for Hillary Clinton on Super Tuesday. Maybe, maybe not. But I am absolutely sure that, at this point in the game, she would be demanding that Hillary either bow out and back Barack Obama, or leave the Democratic Party and campaign for John McCain. True Democrats don't play the game Hillary is playing.

And after she had her say, Gramma Sally would end her argument with that spot-on description...

"Damn bitch!"